Las Vegas, New Mexico
The 90,000 sf structure, located just northwest of the city of Las Vegas, was constructed by the railroad in 1886 as a hotel for convalescents, using the nearby hot springs as a draw for sufferers of tuberculosis, rheumatism, and other conditions. The building's use as a hotel was short-lived, however, and by the early 1900's it began changing hands, circulating through many owners until 1981, when industrialist Armand Hammer purchased the property with a mind to establishing a college there.
As the modern day evolution of the property began, Conron & Woods was hired to do an assessment of the building. This included evaluation of the historic fabric, documenting the existing conditions, and making recommendations in view of the contemporary use and population.